Monday, September 17, 2012

The Journey Continues - Day two Sept 15th, 2012

I am and usually can be a killjoy (one of my buds words -tanks) when I plan trips. You see I have this knack of worrying about weather..the what ifs..what if it rains, if the clouds are low..bleh..you might laugh but I am not a learned weather person....I'm in awe of the mystery of it, aren't you?...when I'm close to home base where I know the area and terrain well I go towards the storms...it's SO cool as they approach and build and I dig flying near them..but not so much on my trippy, I was worried today and on edge. My choices were to stay grounded for a bit or head north...around this weather system an iffy forecast from the briefer rain and low clouds made me quite concerned...I opted to call my new friends at the hang gliding field to see if we could go hang gliding and a resounding yes was told to me! come they said..lol..I preflighted Girly Plane and off we went and only after I circled overhead First Flight airfield and looked towards my initial route (rain and low clouds) I knew I made the right choice heading north to what actually felt easy as I landed there the day before.
On the first pull the ultralight line disconnected from the kite..and I'm sitting there saying "self"...umm ok is that gonna happen again at 100 feet?..gheez..well off we went and the quiet, slendid views and launch were easy and he let me take the controls right away and I flew our bird over the water and it was so open and peaceful...no thoughts of fear only wonderment. When we headed back I begged him to spin the kite and we did about four times...never ceases to amaze me how I can let loose and trust...Do you?
After we landed the kite;  I was ready to head WEST to continue my adventure and did a wee "missed approach" for the boys..hehe...not bad for a girl they said on the radio as I departed...gheez.....lol..by now I'm just going with the flow..it's like the cave ages...I mean just cause I'm a chick... and I can fly an airplane..just as good as the boys..really...is it that unique? it shouldn't be...ain't just sayin..

So, Girly Plane and me are just mossing along and it boggles my mind...I'm solo, in charge of my destiny and SO digging it...navigating along by looking at the map and hitting my check points...flying along Lake Gaston it was quite turbulent and beautiful at the same time....and when you are alone your mind wonders - flying is just the coolest..can you dig this?...what I'm doing..not like the big cappy's but, hey...I ain't got any "pigs" on board..can do as I please. freedom..350 miles later I'm SO close to my final destination..Smith Mtn Lake and straight ahead I can see some big ASS mountains..really? I'm tired and hungry.I climb above them find the airport and I land, park and meet Joe the owner a quasi contankerous man who thinks he's entitled to an owe from people.....however he is very nice to moi...after he quizzes me "tell me about ME"...funny.. He decides I cannot camp out but must sleep in his empty apartment..no hot water..but hey I just go with the flow..I always do...details are overrated.
He gives me a bicycle to ride to town, mind you I'm starved, dehydrated and it's 4 mile...really?..lol....two "rednecks" stop to offer assistance..bleh.....my first thought when I just about died riding the bike to the store..BEER....really...I grabbed two, some fried chicken, a salad and asked the cashier can you pack that up good?....(the beer) I'm on a bicycle mind you...I survive the ride and decide to head down the runway with my food and beer and I'm stopped by the nicest folks who have homes/hangars on the runway towards the cove....and here is what is the coolest......would you put yourself out there and connect with strangers?...remember we are all on a journey.  I'm quite an open person and curiosity is my staple. So, lemme tell you at sunset I'm thinking I'll go to the apartment and just chill...uhhh noooooooooooooo...riding my bike back..Mike West enters my world and his sweet wife Sue who thinks I'm her hero..(I tell her I'm no one's hero) gheez...get over here we're having cocktails and we want to meet you they yell...haha...so, I take a glass of red wine from them and I'm enveloped into the group..quite easily...quiping and having fun...they insist I'm staying one more day...a boat ride and eats with the four of them......I'm game...here I am 350 miles from home on a bike and it's what I do at our home base...ironic eh? Are you able to fit into any fold easily..? I'm dying for a hot shower and simply straight up ask...ok which one of you wants to waste some hot water on moi?...needless to say...I'm a moocher cause I think people want to help and I get it...I would do the same to a stranger..wouldn't you?...so I take Mike & Sue to eats Saturday night and I'm telling you it's like I've know them years...Sue says how is it you "get" us so well...dunno I say...it is what is is...well tomorrow morning I'm leaving and hugs around they are worried about me making it home safely.promise me they say..text us when you are home...and well I'm fearless tonight and tomorrow well it's another day.........will be what it will be....tomorrow I'm heading home to MY Barry..the man who introduced me to my love of flight........









No comments:

Post a Comment