Friday, September 21, 2012

HOME BOUND - 9/16/2012

I have to say this experience has been very hard to describe without sounding kinda lame..the journey, the people, the views are forever etched in my mind and I am fortunate that I can pursue my love of flight..I hope you find the "Joy" that rocks you.

Yesterday, my last day at Smith Mtn Lake - I flew ZERO hours....instead I went boating with my new friends, finally- took a hot shower...they did say I was getting kinda smelly..;-)

The next morning "Go home day" dawn never rises and the SUN never shows itself to my eyes......why is it that I'm still sleeping it's 7am on the day I'm flying HOME!!!...ughh...it's cloudy, overcast and raining...really??...Ok settle, settle...I do some of my own research..smart phones and technology are great, most times. A long away from home and once again I'm wondering WTH was I thinking on one side of my mind (left/right?) and then I say hey wait a minute...you got this and
 re-group and figure it out...my mamma didn't raise no wussy...

This is my trippy and I'll figure it out....I had planned on landing at about six airports with my main focus to see the show at the Flying Circus in VA about 175 miles away.

Well here is how I figure it out..I can see the mountain..it's only light rain..take off and see what the world looks like from above...I say goodbye to my new friends and they all ask me to promise to text/call them when I'm home....are you feeling it?.....it really was special.

I take off and I can see rain cells on either side of me...and like G always says avoid and you'll be fine....so I fly in-between...at this very moment I'm not worried or skeered...I'm kinda digging the terrain and it's peaceful...raining lightly and Girly Plane and I are fine.

So - I head off to New London, then Lynchburg (cause my buddy G lands there in a DASH -hehe then over to W24 - Falwell Airport a runway not for the faint of heart(both Gene & Gordo landed there) and it was a trip to touch my wheels....onto Gordonsville...didn't know G had airport named after him...it was kinda boring...just sayin...lol..to Orange County with my target on Culpeper...I've always wanted to land there...and it was kinda quiet..I walked around a bit, talked to a few folks and onward...Warrington to pick up my courtesy car to head over to the Flying Circus - a place I've heard of for years......I land Girly Plane totally cited and find out the car is gone...I walk outside and see a few guys milling around and ask "anyone happen to be going to the Circus"..sure we'll drive ya over...the best offer was standing to my right - Chuck...we chat a bit and he says we don't normally do this, how about I hop in your Citabria and you fly your plane into the Circus...WHATTT??!!??? I say Chuck - I'm SOOOOO IN.......and away we go..he is a bit concerned as it's a tricky place to land and I assure him "I got this"..trust me....and after landing spot on he says yeah..I guess you nailed it..Whoo hoo...I'm telling you I have the biggest smile on my face...how did I fall into this??? Chuck invited me to the pilot briefing and I'm so in AWE!!!...unbeknown to me he asks me to stand up and tell everyone where I have been on my trippy...aviators are always interested and it's so cool as afterwards I am approached by quite a few folks...it's cool sharing stories and the camaraderie is palpable...you see they "get" it..the journey...

I stay for the entire show, Chuck is the main attraction wing walking and it's insane...no harness or any secure measures..nutty....I'm winding down and thinking sooonnnn...I'll be home - sweet - home...Bar and my crew...can't wait...

It's now time to say goodbye to the Circus and Girly Plane is beggin to take off for her last leg...over a few mountains...and my journey crosses the Harpers Ferry and it's a beaut..what an incredible experience and I feel I've had the worst time trying to easily "splain" what I felt...(joy, trials, peace, intenseness, trials, solitude - I dig, accomplishment) I am fortunate to have found something that is amazing fun and beyond awesome...all because about 20 years ago my hubby (my best friend) said why don't you take a lesson..you see I hate challenges..yuck...lol...gotta tell you he digs that I have the same passion although he worries about moi...I must admit, each time I landed on this trippy we had a "deal"  I would "check in" and he'd say what the heck are you doing there???......LOL...if you know my Bar you can envision him saying that........I'm blessed beyond words..

Here I will list my airports and a few things for you..but, really for my own memory....

Landings; CHO, OXB, MFV, ONX, FFA (FIRST FLIGHT) ONX, AXJ IXA, W78 (G SOLOED) W91 (SMITH MTN LAKE) W91, W90, LYH, W24, GVE, OMH, CJR, HWY, FLYING CIRCUS, 07N

Miles; 820
Fuel spent ; a lottttttttttttttttt...I cannot add up...don't ask me.
States; PA, DE, MD, VA, NC WV
hang gliding - amazing I'd do it again
my buds - checking in on "little bitch" (just go with it) and me shooting them pics...priceless.....they get my obsession..it's such a good drug that we share
Smith Mtn Lake - amazing friendliness where we all got along...makes me have faith in us...I have never lost faith..

While this trippy was something I've dreamed about all year..I have another trippy I've always wanted to try.......guess you'll have to check back to see when I go....














No comments:

Post a Comment