Sunday, September 9, 2012

Admiration

Today was all about Gene Briener.....you see Gene is my friend and someone that I totally dig!..His wisdom, experience, knowledge and life stories are fascinating.  He is someone I nudge often, you see Gene is important to me and I worry about my buds...Gene is 86 and  has eats with us every weekend..during the week I try to checkin with him ..he is smart as a whip, can figure anything out and best of all can fly a plane as good as anyone I know.

He will often tell me that our hangar is the best kept secret in "Kralltown"...as Bar (Barry-hubby) can cook up a mean meal.  Every Friday is Steak and shrimp night and usually come high or hell water, Gene is always sitting in his hangar waiting for us and honestly we always will look towards his hangar to see if he's there, that's what buds do, look out for each other.

Anyhow, I'm getting a bit off track..Gene really wanted to go to "Fly-In" (in our terms folks fly in, check each other's planes out and BS) at Mexico Farms and well since I really hate to fly, hehe..I offered that I would take him.  Gene said if it moves him he will call me in the morning and we'd go....and well he called me..not being as limber as he used to be...I needed to physically nudge him in my plane..(can you picture it?) and off we went.  He had plotted the course in great detail and would call out check points, our time in flight in route etc..when we landed I had to once again nudge him out..(you getting the picture? lol) I sat and watched him meet up with his friends and listened quietly while they talked of days gone by...what's most comforting is how his group of friends has welcomed me into the fold...a mere girl (goil) LOL and no question we all respect each other as pilots..not gender based...one of the things I really try to earn in life..respect..shhh it's a secret...

So, while my day was all about Gene today, I'm glad that I was able to spend time with him and he  flew with me and wasn't screaming or skeered..we can hang out for hours on end either chatting or quietly and it's comforting...I don't who enjoys it more.....I will say for me...he's a gem and I'm glad he's on of my buds.

2 comments:

  1. Gene is one cool bird. You're a lucky duck to spend so much time around him. Lots of knowledge to be learned, so many stories to be heard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jason..glad to see you..hehe

    ReplyDelete