Saturday, November 1, 2014

FRENCHY

I have always called her Frenchy and he is okay with my moniker.  I have always created names for inanimate objects as well as a chosen few people that happen to fall into our barn...(our hangar)...its how I roll.
Frenchy is a 1948 French Stampe Bi-Plane and my bud Pat has owned her for quite a few years. There is nothing more welcoming than seeing an open- cockpit plane setting on grass ready to make a leap into the crisp autumn air.
I have flown her once from the front and Pat lobbed out a question while we were pulling her out the other night, I wasn't expecting.."you wanna get in the back seat"? I hesitated for a bit, I don't know bud, are you sure? Sure I'm sure he said...well? Welllll, okay. I climbed in quickly before he changed his mind I thought maybe, just maybe,  this would be the kick I needed to get back into my zone.  I can't explain this to you, about the zone we pilots have or feel, taste and breathe...and it was not palpable for sometime, something I shared with only a few.  Now you know.
He made me put the soft leather helmet on my bean head while he showed me the instruments "which were in French numbers and letters". This should be a breeze..ha. He then explained what the gauges were, airspeed, oil temperature, along with everything I needed to know to be 'PIC' pilot in command. 
He got Frenchy started and he climbed in the front seat and off we went.  Now imagine you are in your buds favorite plane, taxing down to the end of the runway using s-turns because you can't see a dang thing in front of you.  I was grinning wing to wing with the stick in my right hand, the throttle in my left hand.
I couldn't wait to feel the wind on my face as I tilted Frenchy slightly on takeoff to see the wind jostling the corn stalks. The leaves were blowing off the trees gently.  Breathing in the fall scent, opens your senses, my pilot palate was in overload. We could feel the cool air, the crispness and the sun made shadows all around us. We pilots have a special view.  Tonight she wrapped me or cloaked me completely, while I roamed the sky, sliding wing to wing, floating close to heaven as my eyes reignited back to flight. Welcome back, to my destiny. My light had dimmed but not gone out and Frenchy touched me deep showing me the peace that had eluded me.
I wanted to land her, I was ready.  I hung my head to the side and slipped her slowly to touch her wheels gently to the grass....Pat wasn't too happy with me...my landing was good...sorry bud I laughed..I really wasn't...ha.
After the second landing, Pat says I'm hopping out...time for you to solo her...now the ante was raised and I was ready to grab the key...and solo my first bi-plane!! My insides were giddy, I couldn't stop smiling, it felt as though this was my first solo. She held the secret for me, she had been waiting to share it and I was simply holding on.
I will tell you this, unashamed that I kept saying "is this really happening"??? No crying here... I was ecstatic , crazed, confident, delirious.  I wanted to play with the sky. I had to slice her gently back around for him to hear her purr, watch her against the backdrop of the setting sun, see her shadow on the ground. He said it was a beautiful sight to see..way cool. Our backyard view is not the same...we don't look away, our eyes wonder the sky lazily as we pilots are treated to mystical sights from above our splendid earth.
It was time to come back to earth..I dawdled. The sky had made something special for us tonight.  I was forced to come down from my natural high she had willingly given me. It wasn't easy. I felt the air on my my face  I felt renewed .I settled her down and taxied back to his hangar, it was time to say goodnight.
I was beaming, smiling, laughing out loud. I yelled that was so amazing!!! Thanks bud! It's the time spent in sharing our passion, this gift of flight that we are beyond grateful for.  My friends have the coolest toys..
Now I want to fly Frenchy again ...can I Pat?? can I? can I?

3 comments:

  1. It pains me to say it, but this was a good read. I'm happy you are back in the zone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I guess Pat will allow you to fly "Frenchy" again! Pat must had been pleased to see how you reacted when you got to be PIC. Tell us when he does allow you to fly again! Take care!

    Raymond Curry @ Holstein Aviation

    ReplyDelete