Saturday, September 21, 2013

Final Amazing Day

Believe it or not I'm stumbing on what to post...you see these adventures I take are so deep a part of my soul..my experiences of putting myself out there, alone, with flight planning, sightseeing, exploring and succesfully getting back home is a journey unto itself. ..I highly  recommend it.
 
The last morning I arrived at the FBO to ready Girly Plane..and ironically I had no real idea of which way I was going to fly home. My buddy Pat said why not fly to Niagara Falls? I was like that is wayyyyyy to far away  you goof! Anyhow, I was sitting at the briefing table with my maps laid out and a few local guys/instructors stopped to ask me a few questions...(was I in the Citabria - yes; was I really flying alone - yes; where was I going - dunno - any ideas?

And, so this is how my trip back home came to be. I decided I should venture north past the Finger Lakes one final time to fly along Lake Ontario west bound to the biggest, baddest falls..Ms. Niagara.

I landed at numerous small airports, some had activity and most did not. The air was smooth as ice and I swear I could see 100 miles. Every once in awhile I caught myself looking south towards the lakes, to freeze frame the beauty my eyes took in.
 
When I approached Rochester, I was ready to connect with a soul and talked to them to transition their airspace as it is quite a busy airport.

Finally, I could see Buffalo and I didn't need to talk to them only stay on Lady Lake Ontario's beach. I was now only 12 miles out and I contacted Niagara tower and he gave me the go ahead and procedures to stay above 3500 with right pattern on 122.05..it was too easy, in 2 minutes I'm going to be flying over NIAGARA FALLS..WTH? ...now while I'm talking to him I saw the mist from the water and I was so excited, here was the bluest of blue days, sunny and no real winds...AND when I first approached (no lie) I had the biggest smile and kept saying this is probably one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen...I cannot believe I'm here.

  I hope we have the freedom to continue to fly over the Falls and visit...everyone and I mean EVERYONE should visit the Falls....

I contacted Buffalo as now I was going to need to go through their airspace towards home and my hubster.

I stopped at a real neat airport called Akron in New York, what a great group of folks..they greeted me, fueled me up and I got to see some cool taildraggers..ended up staying close to an hour...this is the beauty of hopping airports, you just never know what will be...I so dig it!
 
I made my way south over some very beautiful mountainous terrian...flew over the PA Grand Caynon, what a marvel that is.
 
I landed one more time, called hubby and I was so dang giddy..he said what? I couldn't wait to tell him what I saw today but I insisted it had to be face to face..lol..

One more hour and I would be home, where what they say is true.."where my heart is".
 
I tallied up my trip and here is what I came up with...about 25 landings (not sure I remembered all of them..damn memory) about 15 hours of airtime and close to 1000 miles..a wee bit much for 3 days..being I was grounded due to weather for one day...I'm still tired today..yet I flew over 2 hours today..hey if the weather is good ya gotta do it, right? I can sleep some other day...
 
My final thoughts-
I became addicted to flying and its all my hubster's fault as he introduced me to his love- LOL- he loves that we share this passion..he has created a monster as I love flying. Flying really does transport me above the world where the natural beauty is always amazing.   I have only a few very close buds that get my zaininess and passion for flying/life and this years trip I was missing that I couldn't share my adventures with my one bud during my trip...he has razed me for years that I would never get to Ithaca...well there is something to be said for a little bit of taunting...

I will continue to be silly and have fun being ME. I would love to have you tag along...its what we should do..share our goals/desires/passions.

Pictures..oh my do I have pictures...
1. The smaller lakes in Ithaca. 2. Approaching Niagara Falls 3. Rainbow view 4. Canada to the left, US to the right 5. Falls 6. Lake Erie 7. Some gorge in NY..real cool 8. T-6 in Akron NY 9. Gorge again NY 10. PA Grand Canyon

No comments:

Post a Comment